Hi there! Thanks for stopping by 👋
Are you actively looking for a new opportunity? Or just checking the market? Well… you might just be in the right place!
We are looking for a Staff Developer to help maintain and extend highly critical backend services mainly written in Ruby. You are going to be key to improving the architecture, scalability and performance of these services that are crucial for one of our point-of-sale cloud products.
If you’re a passionate engineer with a solid technical background and a track record of building scaling Ruby-based services running on cloud infrastructure you might have found a great spot to thrive. If you also enjoy working with large-scale relational databases to solve real-world problems for customers around the globe, then you’re what we’re looking for.
If you are inspired by interesting technical challenges, working with a wonderful international team on solutions that really matter and strive for excellence within our international team, then we would love to hear from you.
You will modernize and extend the backend service of our cloud-based systems that power a significant portion of Lightspeeds revenue in the Hospitality business unit! You will take an active role within a growing engineering team dedicated to this infrastructure. Your team’s mandate is to revitalize foundational systems for long term success that many tens of thousands of customers and their guests depend upon daily. You will have agency to make changes at production scale and ensure a great experience for our customers.
- Development of scalable and maintainable software architectures in primarily in Ruby following modern practices
- Take ownership of key software components and AWS-based infrastructure running it
- Work closely with your squad team members and take a key role in aligning on the approach and priorities
- Contribute to continuous improvement of your squad’s software delivery processes and practices
- Curiosity and passion for diving into stimulating challenges
- Experience working within a development team to deliver successful software projects
- Solid experience in delivering and managing horizontally scalable systems in production;
- Hands-on knowledge of major cloud services like AWS, GCP and Azure
- Experience with relational datastores
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills
Nice To Have
- Interest in the hospitality industry
- Experience in MySQL performance tuning
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent
What's in it for you?
- Lots of autonomy, flexible work culture with the option of working remotely or from one of our offices
- Development of very high traffic products, used at the global scale
- Exposure to modern and proven technology
- Tons of growth opportunities into technical or people management roles
- Amazing benefits & perks, including equity for all Lightspeeders
- Opportunity to join a fast-paced, high-growth company
- Opportunity to learn, expand your skill set, forge wonderful relationships and make your mark within the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family, a true Canadian tech success story.
To all recruitment agencies: Lightspeed does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. If we have not directly engaged your company in writing to supply candidates for a specific vacancy, Lightspeed will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Where to from here?
Obviously, this has to be mutually beneficial: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day. For a glimpse into our world check out our career page here.
Lightspeed is building communities through commerce, and we need people from all backgrounds and lived experiences to do that. We were founded in 2005, in Montreal’s gay village and our original members were all part of the LGBTQ+ community. The ethos of our business has been about inclusion from the very beginning, and we strive to provide a workplace where everyone belongs.
Who we are:
Lightspeed (TSX/NYSE: LSPD) powers the businesses that are the backbone of the global economy.
Our one-stop commerce platform transforms and unifies digital and physical operations by enabling multichannel sales, expansion to new locations, global payments, financial solutions and connection to supplier networks. With the Lightspeed commerce platform, merchants in retail and hospitality can build thriving businesses for the future.
Headquartered in Montréal, Canada, Lightspeed is trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine in over 100 countries. Lightspeed has offices in Canada, the USA, Europe, and APAC.
We’re passionate about enabling people to do their best work. We dream big and we’re looking for people who do the same. With us, career milestones happen often and we celebrate every one. Come work with us and find out where your career will take you at Lightspeed!