Lightspeed is looking for a Product Design Director to join our global Retail team. As a Design Director, you'd help establish a shared product vision, bring a strategic perspective to projects as well as contribute hands-on to get things done. You are expected to be a cross-functional leader who helps product teams define and deliver sound strategy for new and established initiatives through exemplary visual design and user interaction. You’d lead complex and innovative projects that help achieve business objectives, identify and prioritize opportunities to increase our impact, and lead and mentor a team of designers.
You should be decisive and excited to lead teams forward; someone who will never tire of pushing the work to be better, while adaptable to take direction from senior team members. You can break down complex problems into steps that drive projects forward, simplify complex and technical concepts and to plan, prioritize, and seamlessly integrate all moving parts to execute successful initiatives. Having context on each project, you'd provide each designer with ongoing feedback, critique, and direction to help them narrow in on the right solution while considering customer needs.
You'd help designers be successful through intentional coaching, thoughtful mentorship, and strong leadership to inspire and influence those around you to do the best work of their lives.
Sound like you?
A little About Us
Lightspeed powers small and medium-sized businesses in over 100 countries around the world with its cloud-based commerce platform. Its smart, scalable, and dependable all-in-one Point of Sale software system helps restaurants and retailers sell across channels, manage operations, engage with consumers, accept payments, and grow their business. Founded in 2005 with offices in Canada, USA, Europe and Australia, Lightspeed recently completed its initial public offering on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: LSPD). We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do.
- Collaborate with product leaders to develop and continuously refine our retail product design strategy and vision that aligns to company priorities
- Lead initiatives that bring the voice of the customer into strategic product decisions to help determine not just what things look like, but how they work and what we build next
- Work closely with design leadership to ensure a cohesive, elegant, usable, and delightful user experience across all retail products and platforms
- Coach stakeholders on design best practices, tools and approaches to deliver business results
- Directly lead and manage designers, including facilitating one-on-ones and quarterly reviews to translate broader company goals into everyday work and design decisions
- Grow a team of Product Designers while fostering a culture of openness, trust, and respect
- Build our user research capabilities and processes to ensure that we have the knowledge we need to make informed product decisions
- Champion design principles, values, and guidelines to ensure high-quality, consistent design work that is impactful
- Work with product teams to efficiently implement the design system across all products and to retire design debt over time
- Work closely with our global product design team to help evolve our visual language and design system
- Guide the design process for your team from problem definition, ideation, prototyping, implementation and validation
- Exercise good judgment and creativity to ensure we’re balancing speed and quality when shipping products
- Continually develop product design processes, systems, and tooling
- Have 3+ years experience leading and managing a design function at a SaaS company
- Have 7+ years of experience designing and shipping successful SaaS applications
- A portfolio of relevant design work, executed either by yourself and/or a team that you led, that conveys an ability to ship successful products that people love
- Demonstrated expertise in defining metric-driven product strategy
- A user-centred approach to designing software
- Possess a collaborative, learning mindset, continually seeking improvement, and are eager to grow and share knowledge
- Thrive in an environment that requires strong problem-solving skills, independent self-direction, and timely execution as part of agile, cross-functional teams
- Strong leadership skills and ability to achieve results through influence and persuasion
- Comfortable juggling a wide range of responsibilities at the same time
- Have excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills to defend your decisions with data
- Must be strategic, tactical, and creative while remaining detail-oriented and process-focused
- A growth mindset that can adapt and manage change
- An excellent understanding of visual design fundamentals; typography, color, grid, space, and composition
- Strong understanding of information architecture, user experience, and content strategy
- Education in design, human-computer interaction, or equivalent professional experience
- International travel
- Experience implementing and evolving design systems
- Experience designing a B2B SaaS product
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative user research projects that inform product conception, initial ideation, and post-product-market-fit.
What's in it for you?
In addition to the perks you see on the Careers page, you’ll get access to:
- A beautifully renovated office space in a castle; one of the best development centres in Montreal;
- An environment that encourages initiatives and leadership;
- Happy hour every Friday afternoon;
- Birthday treats every month to celebrate our employees;
- Social events throughout the year including the legendary annual holiday party;
- Fun activities with your teammates - be part of the Lightspeed family;
- Work with highly talented people who are as passionate about their craft as you are!