Hi there! Thanks for stopping by 👋
Are you actively looking for a new opportunity? Or just checking the market? Well… you might just be in the right place!
We’re looking for a Director of Engineering to join our Retail team in North America. You will support the engineering teams working on the Commerce platform, helping them to deliver value rapidly and frequently. You’ll work directly with a group of Development Managers to help their teams continuously improve their processes, tooling, and performance. You’ll make sure we’re growing a diverse, happy, and high-performance organization of software engineers.
What you’ll be doing:
- You’re ultimately responsible for the output of engineering teams in your group, and the value they deliver to our merchants. You’ll work with Development Managers to ensure their teams are able to do great work and rapidly deliver value.
- You’ll collaborate with stakeholders to solve problems that might block teams from shipping.
- You’ll ensure that we have the right team structure and size to deliver on demands from the business, and that the roadmap is realistic based on the team size we have.
- You’re responsible for the performance of your engineering teams. You’ll work with Development Managers to understand individual and group performance, then follow up with action to make sure people are working at their best.
- Performance at Lightspeed is more than raw output: it includes engagement, satisfaction, and retention. We value output, and we also value well-rounded humans who work as a great team.
- You’ll make sure that pay reviews are fair and equitable, and reward great performance.
- You’ll ensure everyone has a growth plan that suits them, and are making progress on that plan.
- You’ll maintain a diverse hiring pipeline and participate in the hiring process with Development Managers.
Process & Product Improvement:
- You’ll ensure that the teams are using processes that result in great output. If that means agile or scrum or kanban or something else, that’s fine. We measure outcomes for our stakeholders, not timesheets or Jira ticket counts.
- You’ll ensure that technologies and platforms are appropriate, and solve the problems at hand, while also future-proofing and catering for forecasted scale (based on sales forecasts etc).
- You’ll collaborate closely with Product and Design leadership, stakeholders in the Retail pillar, the wider Lightspeed business, and our merchants to make sure that our engineering process works well in the wider scheme of things.
Strategy & Planning:
- You’ll provide input and feedback to the leadership & Exec teams, and effectively lobby for change when it’s required.
- You’ll feed into the budget & headcount for the Product Engineering organization.
What you need to bring:
We’re a team of about 25 people mostly located in North America. Our mission is to continue to invest in a fast, reliable and accurate retail product. We help our merchants build thriving businesses, live more fulfilling lives and develop experiences that people love. We also aspire to be a remarkable company – a global leader transforming an industry, while genuinely doing the right thing for our merchants and our people.
We're looking for a Director level candidate who has experience with the following:
- Experience leading other leaders in a software engineering organization.
- People management: experience in hiring, performance management, and growth.
- Technical experience in software product engineering.
- Experience working in product engineering and/or SaaS software delivery (not a hard requirement).
- Ability to manage software development in a fast-moving, modern cloud based environment.
- Deep knowledge and interest in modern software engineering practices, and experience with high-performance software engineering teams.
- Providing technical advice and weighs in on technical decisions that impact other teams or the company at large.
Feel free to take a look at our Tech Stack here: https://stackshare.io/lightspeed/lightspeed
We know that people are more than what’s on their CV. If you’re unsure that you have the right profile for the role... hit the ‘Apply’ button and give it a try!
What’s in it for you?
Come live the Lightspeed experience...
- Ability to do your job in a truly flexible environment;
- Genuine career opportunities in a company that’s creating new jobs everyday;
- Work in a team big enough for growth but lean enough to make a real impact.
… and enjoy a range of benefits that’ll keep you happy, healthy and (not) hungry:
- Lightspeed share scheme (we are all owners)
- Unlimited paid time off policy
- Flexible working policy
- Health insurance
- Health and wellness benefit of $500 per year
- Paid leave and assistance for new parents
- Mental health online platform and counseling & coaching services
- LinkedIn Learning license
- Volunteer day
To all recruitment agencies: Lightspeed does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. If we have not directly engaged your company in writing to supply candidates for a specific vacancy, Lightspeed will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Where to from here?
Obviously, this has to be mutually beneficial: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day. For a glimpse into our world check out our career page here.
Lightspeed is building communities through commerce, and we need people from all backgrounds and lived experiences to do that. We were founded in 2005, in Montreal’s gay village and our original members were all part of the LGBTQ+ community. The ethos of our business has been about inclusion from the very beginning, and we strive to provide a workplace where everyone belongs.
Who we are:
Lightspeed (TSX/NYSE: LSPD) powers the businesses that are the backbone of the global economy.
Our one-stop commerce platform transforms and unifies digital and physical operations by enabling multichannel sales, expansion to new locations, global payments, financial solutions and connection to supplier networks. With the Lightspeed commerce platform, merchants in retail and hospitality can build thriving businesses for the future.
Headquartered in Montréal, Canada, Lightspeed is trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine in over 100 countries. Lightspeed has offices in Canada, the USA, Europe, Russia and APAC.
We’re passionate about enabling people to do their best work. We dream big and we’re looking for people who do the same. With us, career milestones happen often and we celebrate every one. Come work with us and find out where your career will take you at Lightspeed!